Ski vacations can be great for families, full of fun and excitement, beautiful scenery and cozy lodgings. They can bring your clan closer together, and even provide opportunities to travel with other families and extend the bonding experience. All that being said, one question remains: What if not everyone skis?
Previously this meant someone who hates skiing being goaded onto the slopes, or sitting miserably in a lodge waiting for everyone else to end their day. No more! With a little planning ahead, and selecting the right ski destination, the whole family can enjoy a mountain vacation no matter how they feel about going down hill.
Here are some top locations that combine great skiing with great off-slope activities, in the US West:
- Park City, Utah: Not far from the mountain lies Homestead Crater, a beautiful natural sight containing a 10,000 year old hot spring. While skiers enjoy the airy mountain views, you can swim, soak, snorkel or scuba in waters warmer than 90 degrees, or stay dry while enjoying a self guided tour of the area or even a yoga lesson! Park City Mountain Resort offers its own free tours, or if you want to enjoy some action (but just skip the skis) you can ride down the mountain on a roller coaster, or ride with a Bobsled instructor atUtah Olympic Park.
- Breckenridge, Colorado: Long before the area was known for skiing, visitors got their excitement from the prospect of striking it rich in the gold rush. While the rest of the group enjoys high speed trips through powder, take a slower pace and search for nuggets while panning for gold at the Country Boy Mine. Again, if you want excitement but the security of a little more control or a little less elevation, enjoy the Alpine Coaster or take a ride on a dog sled! This town also has all the hallmarks of a great ski town for non-skiers, including excellent shopping and dining, historic tours, and resorts that cater to those in search of a movie, games, massage or other spa treatment.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: There are plenty of active ventures like tram rides, Iditarod-style dog sled rides, snow bikes and more. However, if you want to take a completely different take, consider a cold-weather safari to spot moose, elk and even bald eagles. Those looking for a unique and memorable experience off the slopes, rather than a purely relaxing one, will enjoy two nearby national parks (Yellowstone and Grand Teton) and an abundance of local naturalists and astronomers who can create catered tours for all your wildlife hiking and stargazing curiosities!
Let us help you save money with some great deals on ski destinations! Please note, all offers are current as of the date of this publication but some do expire. See applicable website for terms, conditions and restrictions.
- Hotels.com considers Park City a “Top Ski Destination” and consolidates all its best hotel room prices for it here.
- Snow saves you money on car rentals with Hertz! Save $50 on your weekly car rental this winter. Include PC# 210114 in your next rental in Utah, Colorado, Arizona or New Mexico and get great savings on your Economy to Full-size vehicle. Offer is valid for vehicle pickup from December 1, 2014 through January 31, 2015.
- There are also a ton of deals on Hotels.com for Jackson Hole that are always updating with the best room prices available.
- Priceline offers great ski destination savings on everything from rooms to airfare and even cars.
In general, look for ski towns that offer great opportunities in the areas of shopping and dining. More developed ski areas will have more to offer and things like spas and off-mountain entertainment will be standard fare. Consider the nature hike option, snowshoeing, cross country and other ways to appreciate a beautiful mountain locale, without having to zoom down it!
Interested in booking or planning a vacation to one of these great ski locations right now? Check out some of the offers currently available for airfare and hotels at Kayak, Orbitz and Priceline. See more lodging options at Hotels.com and Hilton. Get started on your next trip today!
Please note that some of the links included in this piece may be affiliate links and in such case, Real Family Trips will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on the link.