Does your family love skiing, but you’d rather hang back at the lodge? Another family invite you to their chalet, but you’d rather meet up with them after they’re done on the slopes? Love winter weather but have no interest in winter sports? Never fear. We have the third in our series on ski towns for non-skiers to help guide you.
The truth is, ski vacations can be great fun whether you ski/snowboard or not. The towns are, more often than not, littered with culture and amenities that can provide you with a great time even if you stay far away from a chairlift. Alternately, your family may love skiing but need a day off in the middle of a long trip, to rest up and recharge. The secret is choosing the right destination, and we’re here to guide you to the best Europe has to offer.
Here are some top locations that combine great skiing with great off-slope activities, in the Europe:
- Zermatt Matterhorn: For those who love the alps but hate to go down them, Zermatt Matterhorn offers 50 mountain restaurants and 100 village restaurants for a spread that would take you more than 7 weeks to cover if you ate out every meal. Enjoy this idyllic location nestled in between Switzerland and Italy and you’ll find one of Europe’s hidden culinary gems.
- Club Med Valmorel: Experience France and resort life all at once in this fantastic option for skiers and non skiers alike. While some may enjoy flying down the mountain, you may be interested in group snowshoeing or hiking sessions. There are also nordic walking lessons for a different experience. Combine this with the amenities you’d expect at a club med resort (think heated indoor pool, pilates, wellness center and more), and you’ll find yourself gazing out at Mont Blanc, wondering how you ever considered going anyplace else.
Check out the best of what France and Switzerland have to offer including:
- Chamonix Mont-Blanc
- Méribel l’Antares
- Méribel le Chalet
And experience activities like:
- Ice Driving (yes, with a car)
- Snow Scooting (as in a scooter with a board instead of wheels)
- Snake-Sledging (you have to see it to believe it)
Let us help you save money with some great deals on ski destinations! Please note, all offers are current as of the date of this publication but some do expire. See applicable website for terms, conditions and restrictions.
- Save up to 20% on car rentals in Europe with Hertz! Valid on rentals of five or more days on select car classes, at participating locations in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Use code EARLY1 and get 20% off rentals booked 60 days in advance, or 15% off rentals booked 30 days out.
In general, look for ski towns that offer great opportunities in the areas of shopping, dining, and general recreation. More developed and established ski areas will have more to offer. You’ll find that things like spas, malls, and off-mountain entertainment will be standard fare. Consider a nature hike as an option, or try snowshoeing, cross country, as well as numerous other ways to appreciate a beautiful mountain locale, without having to zoom down it!
Staying Stateside? Heading North to Canada? Check out our corresponding articles on Ski Trips for Non-Skiers in the Western United States or Ski Trips for Non-Skiers in the Eastern United States and Canada!
Interested in booking or planning a vacation to one of these great ski locations right now? Check out some of the offers currently available for airfare and hotels at Kayak, Orbitz and Priceline. See more lodging options at Hotels.com and Hilton. Get started on your next trip today!
Please note that some of the links included in this piece may be affiliate links and in such case, Real Family Trips will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on the link.