The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is the largest museum for childhood education in the world. Its exhibits span the arts, sciences and humanities, presenting all of them in a way that frames the conversation from children and makes learning a joyous experience.
This winter they are pulling out all the stops to present a calendar of events and activities that make December and January some of the happiest times of the year. Best of all, every activity and event listed is included Free with regular paid admission to the museum. No special tickets, just good family fun.
Here are some of the great holiday offerings at the Children’s Museum:
- The Jolly Days of Winter Wonderland features a host of amazing winter and holiday activities. Become an elf in training and receive elf ears when you participate in “Jolly Days” activities. Skate in socks on an indoor “pond,” have an indoor snowball fight, climb the ice castle, pretend-bake holiday goodies in the Tradition Kitchen and go “ice fishing” all without getting chilly or wet. You can also get a picture with Santa.
- Ride the Yule Slide and you’ll not only have fun, you’ll be contributing to a good cause. As part of celebrating 90 years of the museum, a goal of 90,000 rides down this slide has been set. Generous donors have pledged money to help those not fortunate enough to afford admission still experience the wonders of the museum and learning. Come, slide and donate if you choose!
- A Seussified Christmas Carol is a show that will delight young and old alike. The 40 minute show is performed publicly, on select days through January 4th. See actors fly across stage, wear costumes made of LED lights and celebrate the holiday spirit in the most whimsical fashion. Suggested for ages 4+.
- Season of Light turns the SpaceQuest Planetarium into a center of holiday learning as a program narrated by NPR’s Noah Adams that shows the winter sky and explains how light and stars are tied to many different holiday traditions. The 35 minute program is recommended for ages 6+ and runs on select days through January 6th.
Also Be Sure To Check Out 2 Special Upcoming Days
- December 24th is FREE Admission day at the museum. Come on Christmas Eve between 10 AM and 2 PM to enjoy all the museum has to offer free of charge as well as convey last minute wishes to Santa! If you can’t make that, Thursday, January 8th is a free admission night from 4-8 PM and after that the first Thursday of every month will see free entry during those same four hours.
- Family New Year’s Eve Celebration lasts from 10 AM – 1 PM on December 31st and will enjoy activities, music from Zak Morgan, free party favors and a water clock countdown that offers all the fun of watching the clock tick down without the late hour for kids.
Be sure to visit the Children’s Museum website, it is well laid out and easy to find the day’s hours, what’s going on, where to find tickets and how to enjoy (even sort by age). Its a great place to enjoy holiday fun, and year round learning.