Winter is here and with Thanksgiving out of the way, many now turn their heads to the December holidays. While we know you have a lot on your plate with school, work, family and holiday preparations, we encourage you to start thinking just a little down the road.
If your family is one of the many that enjoy winter vacations to snowy destinations, and the thrill of tearing down a mountain on skis or snowboards, NOW is the time to book.
With many of the major mountains opening for the season around Thanksgiving week, several major resorts and ski hotspots are offering early season deals if you want to get on the mountain now. If you’re looking down the road at a January or February ski vacation, booking soon will help you lock in a great rate.
To help get you inspired, here are some “Must Ski Locations” in a list inspired by BergenHealthandLife.com!
- Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – High altitudes and north-facing slopes provide some of the freshest snow conditions in the world, along with one of the longest seasons. A recent expansion added over 400 ares to the already impressive offerings. While the mountain will remain open until July, look to ski before December 19, 2014 for a great Kids Ski Free Deal for children under 14 with NO minimum stay or time limitation.
- Banff, Alberta Canada – If three mountains totalling over 8,000 acres of skiable area weren’t enough, this resort nestled on the grounds of a national park enjoys insanely beautiful views. The protected land also means that you’ll be sharing the slopes with open wilderness, as untouched trees and wildlife dot both the vistas and the slopes.
- Stowe, Vermont – Mt. Mansfield is the highest peak in the state of Vermont, famous for amazing conditions and great rides. This quintessential northeastern ski experience also has amazing views on the transfer gondola that takes you from Mansfield to neighboring Spruce Peak. To top it all off, the village that services the mountains provides a picturesque experience perfect for families.
- Sun Valley, Idaho – Think outside the box and avoid the crowds you’ll inevitably find at skiing’s hottest spots and modern meccas by traveling to quieter Idaho. While a little less known, this mountain is anything but a cobbled together experience. With a history dating back to the 1930’s, this storied locale provides great skiing and service.
- Vail, Colorado – No list of “the greats” would be complete without mentioning world renowned Vail and its amazing ski and snowboard opportunities. This mountain offers something for everyone, from beginners through the very advanced, as well as unique opportunities like seldom touched, knee-deep back trails and a lively off mountain experience.
With these ideas for inspiration, as well as so many great mountains both in the United States and abroad, the time is now to plan an amazing ski retreat.
To save you both time and money, we’ve compiled some great places to look in order to find the deal that works best for your busy tribe of snow lovers.
- Find great deals at top ski resorts at Expedia.com!
- Save Big on Ski and Snow Travel at Luxury Link
- Hit the slopes at a top ski destination this winter. Deals from LivingSocial.com
- Save up to 60% with Priceline
- Hotels.com has great deals for Vail, Aspen, Park City and More!
Please note that some of the links included in this piece are affiliate links and in such case, Real Family Trips will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on the link.